Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Pick up a Book!

Haven't posted for a while. There are long periods of time when a retiree's life really isn't that exciting or insightful. But...that's one of the things I love about it. Not much drama!

I spend a lot of my time reading. Just finished Wicked. I was very disappointed and would probably give it a B-. Which is a disappointment as I was hoping to add the author's other books to my every-growing list of must reads.

So after the disappointment, I'm going to read Thud by Terry Prachett. I need some good cynical, sarcastic humor to brighten up the rainy fall days! I love his parodies of the 80's fantasy fad.

I am a great lover of good fantasy, horror and science fiction. However, finding it is a challenge! If you plug those words into any book site, you'll come up with hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of books. But narrowing it down to what I consider good is a challenge. I can pretty much depend on
Neil Gaimen and Terry Prachett for a good read. Stephen King and Peter Straud are always reliable, especially when they write together. And Anne Rice. However, I fear for her mental health and don't want to exacerbate it's demise by reading too many of her books. Apparently she's found Christ. I didn't know he was missing. (Har, har!) I'm getting back into the Dean Koontz thing. He seems to have found his sense of humor, and that ineveitably leads to a good read. As opposed to Ms. Rice, who started taking herself much too seriously!

So whom do you read? DO you read? Why? Why not? I'd love to hear from someone else who has the same twisted, non-mainstream reading tastes that I seem to have. Don't get me wrong! I respect everyone who can read a
Nicholas Sparks book. It's just not my style. (I still have a bookmark in the middle of Tuesdays with Morrie. I think it's been there for 2 or 3 years.) At least people are reading!

Hey, now that you've read this...go read something good! Pick up a book!

No comments: